Friday, May 25, 2012

Me First - Examination

In being a Christ-follower I'm called to conduct self-examination thoroughly before I even consider conducting cross-examination.  I am much better at conducting cross-examination though, because practice makes perfect :)  To conduct self-examination aright, I need the help of others, trusted companions who can see my blind spots.

I tend to function like an accountant that keeps track of the balance sheets with a slight bias.  I tend to keep track, in my favor.  A trusted companion, a sister who will love me, comfort me, and tell me the truth in what she sees will tell me when I'm way off.  When she's accepted my invitation to be in my life as an insider, she will help me see where I've misplaced blame onto others or myself.  She will also help me see that my feelings, no matter how illogical they may sound to others, do have validity and an important place.  She is indispensable.

Removing the logs in my eyes on my own is a scary business.  If I have logs sticking out of my eyes, how the heck can I see clearly to remove them without further injuring myself?  This is where the help of a loving and trustworthy friend's perspective and direction come into play.  For if I'm walking around with logs in my eyes, I certainly will hurt others when trying to remove their specks while conducting cross-examination before or instead of self-examination.  When it comes to examining conduct, attitudes and choices -it's me first baby.  I'm to look at myself first.  Ouch.

My trusted companions are an indispensable part of this path, and so am I to them.  In learning to be a safe person for others to trust, and trusting others myself, I'm moving along on this path of sanctification, toward holiness, and holiness cannot be lived in loneliness.  The backbone to all of this will become evident in whom or what I'm putting my faith in.  If I want a solid backbone, I'm learning and re-learning that I need to put my trust, my faith in Jesus.  He is my life-source, my Rock.  No matter how painful it may be to remove my logs, sometimes to just grow a new one, or how patient I must learn to be when asked to help another be a part of their log removal project, I can trust Jesus with the process.

I can walk this path, seeing clearer and clearer, one day at a time.  With the help of others showing up in my life, as I also chose to show up for others, including myself...I'll get this down more and more.

Seriously, taking one day at a time...



No comments:

Post a Comment